Friday, May 10, 2013

Cootie Brown's

I can't believe it has taken me so long to get to Cootie Brown's in Johnson City, TN. I'd heard good things about their gluten free pizza and I knew I had to see what all the fuss was about. Let's first start with the ambiance. From the way the restaurant looks on the outside I was completely prepared for the interior to look funky...and it did. I actually, really like the whimsical feel that you get when you walk in.


There are so many visual stimulants in restaurant, you don't know really where to look at first glance. You almost get the feeling that the place was decorated with the "stuff outback." Guess what, I love it! Cootie Brown's is completely different from other restaurants in the Tri-City area. Cootie's is also local owned, which is a huge plus for me. Immediately upon arrival, I requested information about their gluten free options from my server. She was very knowledgeable about what items were gluten free. Cootie Brown's also has gluten free sandwich options on flat bread as well. But, I was there for one thing...PIZZA!!


How many places do you know that offer gluten free pizza and charge extra? Not Cootie Brown's!! I felt even more "normal" when I realized that their gluten free pizza was the same price as there regular pizza. So, more importantly...how was the pizza? I so appreciate the fact that they didn't skimp on the amount of cheese that they used as on my pizza. Recently, I've had to order extra cheese at a few pizza joints but at Cootie Brown's the topping to crust ratio was perfect.

 
The thing I really enjoyed most about my pizza was the extra use of herbs. We all know that gluten free flours can have a distinct flavor. When I bake pizza at home, I always put herbs in the crust and guess what...so does Cootie Brown's! They also sprinkle the bubbling cheese with more herbs. The crust is a thin crust which is by far my favorite type of pizza. The edges where perfectly browned without being overdone and had "cracker" like crunch on the edges.
 
Now, I know what all the fuss is about and I can't wait to return to Cootie Brown's.
 
For more information you can check out their website at... http://www.cootiebrowns.com/
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment