Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Dining on the Outer Banks

We headed out to the Outer Banks on another recent gluten free trip!  After falling in love with the OBX, I've continued on my search for gluten free food on the Northern Beaches. This trip was extremely different, as we experienced the chill of November. Actually, it's quite beautiful and refreshing to visit the OBX in the off season. There's a laid back vibe with no need for reservations.
 
Sound Side in the Outer Banks





Each time I grace this amazing stretch of coastline, I find more options for the gluten free diner. Typically, I bring groceries to our rental home and prepare most of our meals in house.  I've found several gluten free options at the local supermarkets including a gluten free, Mi-del Graham Style Pie Crust which made for a quick Key Lime Pie. 
Sorry there are no pictures of the pie....it didn't last long enough!
Timbuck II - Corolla, NC
When traveling to the OBX in the off season, many of  the restaurants and retail establishments will be closed. So before making the trek out, just give them a call to see if they are closed for the season or if they are keeping limited hours. Many of the restaurants will stay open through Thanksgiving and then will close until March.  
La Dolce Vita - Corolla, NC


We were thrilled this trip to discover La Dolce Vita, located in the Timbuck II complex in Corolla, NC.  We slipped in this quaint restaurant located on the sound for their last day of the season. The good news...they'll be opening in the Spring.  The interior features a contrast of paint and dark woods. Looking out the windows provides views of the sound. 
In warmer weather the restaurant extends to the deck.
La Dolce Vita - Timbuck II
   On the opposite wall they have large wooden booths with granite tops, making lunch quite private and romantic.  As I looked over the menu I found several gluten free options. The menu even had **Go Gluten Free,** located on the bottom. Our server explained that a few ingredients wouldn't be available because it was last day of the season. During peak season, our server shared with us that they have gluten free bread for sandwiches.
Antipasto Salad - La Dolce Vita
We decided to forgo the gluten free pasta that was available that day and enjoy salads instead. I chose the Antipasto Salad with House Dressing. My serving size was very large, I even had leftovers to pair with my gluten free Spaghetti I prepared later that night. My salad was topped with roasted red peppers and fluffy cheese...almost like snow. They careful rolled layers of ham, provolone and pepperoni and placed them on the side. 
I enjoyed the saltiness of the meat as they played off of the vinaigrette.
Smoked Salmon Salad - La Dolce Vita
Kevin selected the Smoked Salmon Salad for his entree with Balsamic Vinaigrette. The flakiness and moistness of the smoked salmon was fabulous. The richness of the Gorgonzola and the texture of the walnuts added immensely to the overall dish.
I can't wait to head back to La Dolce Vita in Corolla, NC next season. If you'd like up to date information about La Dolce Vita you can visit them on their website or on Facebook.
Tomato Patch - Corolla, NC
I've made more trips than I can count to the OBX and many were before going gluten free. One of the places that I could depend on for a quick bite was the Tomato Patch Pizzeria, located in Corolla, NC. I haven't been able to eat there since going gluten free. I was absolutely thrilled to hear they are now offering gluten free pizza!
Gluten Free Pizza - Tomato Patch - Corolla, NC


Kevin and I decided to go the classic route with pepperoni pizza...well actually 2 of them.The pizzas were loaded with cheese, just like we like them. The crust was a nice of amount of thickness, I found it quite delicious. However, my favorite part of the entire pizza was the sauce....wow! For those people who enjoy beer & pizza, our serve mentioned that they now carry Omission. 
Tomato Patch - OBX
 If you're looking for pipping hot, gluten free pizza in a relaxed family atmosphere in the Outer Banks.....Tomato Patch might just be the place! To see their menu you can go to their website or check them out of Facebook!

If you missed my previous posts on the Outer Banks you can find them here.
Outer Banks, NC
The Blue Point - Duck, NC
I hope you enjoy you're next gluten free trip to the Outer Banks!

















No comments:

Post a Comment